Located 600 miles (1000 kilometers) off the coast of continental Ecuador, the country to which they belong, the Galapagos Islands are one of the most fantastic natural areas in the world, considered a "living laboratory" of nature. The islands are also recognized as the cradle of Charles Darwin's famous Theory of Evolution that marked a turning point for biology, science and natural history since the mid-18th century. The Galápagos became the first Park since 1959 National of Ecuador. In 1978, UNESCO declared the Galapagos as the first Natural Patrimony of Humanity on the planet. Then the Islands were also declared as Biosphere Reserve and Sanctuary of Whales and Cartilaginous Fishes (sharks), to ensure their protection. A little later the Galápagos Marine Reserve, the second largest in the world in surface after the Great Barrier Reef of Australia also entered the official list of Natural Patrimonies of Humanity of UNESCO.
Located the Archipelago in an unusual meeting point of three tectonic plates and several marine currents, both its geological origin and its weather patterns, dictated by the influence of marine currents, created a unique and isolated natural space in the middle of the Pacific, which It became the cradle and home of some of the most amazing animal and plant species, unique in the world and only possible to find in these islands. The lack of fear of human presence evidenced by most animal species is one of the attractions that most surprises visitors. The Archipelago consists of 14 major islands and more than 80 smaller islands, islets and rocks with names, scattered over a large area of the Eastern Pacific Ocean, crossed by the Equatorial Line. 97% of the land surface is National Park, leaving only 3% as inhabited areas, located in only 4 of the islands.
Recognized also as a model of responsible, sustainable and nature-oriented tourism since the 1970s, Galapagos is currently one of the preferred destinations for nature-loving travelers from all over the world.